Today we’re talking about the best balance and wobble boards that will help you improve your grappling game and build you a rock-solid core. This is a list of our favorite balance and wobble boards for Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. Check it out!
Linked with balance sports such as surfing and skateboarding, balance boards are the perfect supplement to help you with your grappling base. Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and MMA have their hearts on the beach and the streets, so you will quite regularly see fighters cross-training with surfing and skateboarding. These sports don’t help you improve balance, they help with twitch muscle reactions, muscle memory, and building up a crazy core.
Aside from the obvious benefits, they are also super fun to break out after a training session and watch as your training partners either fall flat on the mats or show off with some sick tricks. There are quite a few different types of balance and wobble boards available for the average fighter, some difficult, some more beginner friendly. Today we’ll break down some of the best features that make a good balance board depending on experience.
Best Balance and Wobble Board Reviews
Here are our top balance and wobble boards for beginners to advanced.
Yes4ALL Balance Pad
While this isn’t a typical wobble or balance board the Balance pad is perfect for a beginner looking to get into the world of balancers. Basically, this is a squishy foam block that you can use to stand on and get your bearings.
This is a great place to start if you have just started BJJ and want to get some better core balancing skills. The balance pad is the perfect complement to kettle bell training and conditioning training, or knee and ankle rehab after surgery.
- Non-slip pad for those sweaty workouts
- Excellent for rehabilitation
- 5-year warranty
- Doesn’t have the same balance workout benefits as a balance board
- Difficult to store away
StongTek Pro Rocker Board
- ✓ IMPROVE STRENGTH AND CONDITIONING: Our wooden rocker board is designed to stimulate your core and improve agility, reaction time, and stamina. This low-impact exercise board is great for all.
- ✓ COMPACT AND PORTABLE: At 17.5” x 13.5” x 3” in size, our lightweight balance exerciser/fit tilt board can be used for therapy or training at home, the gym, or while traveling. A perfect...
- ✓ SLIP-RESISTANT SURFACE: The top of each rocker balance board features an easy-grip surface that’s gentle on bare feet but helps keep you in place safely and securely.
- ✓ STRONG AND STABLE BASE: Made of high-quality Lauan hardwood plywood from sustainable, plantation-grown timbers, stronger and last longer than others made of birch and pine plywood. This heavy-duty...
- ✓ TRUE QUALITY ASSURANCE: The workout board/core trainer is backed by unbeatable quality and customer support, which is why they come with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
The StrongTek Rocker Board is our first two-way wobble board. It consists of a square platform, on a half-cylindrical, fixed fulcrum.
This is the perfect board for the beginner BJJ enthusiast and you will be able to get some good movement training from it.
The composite cylindrical bottom will challenge you as a beginner and will quickly help you build up your core strength, stability, and balance every time you work out on it. This is a great pick for a balance board on a budget.
- Small bottom for difficult workouts
- Help improve knee strength and ankle flexibility
- Perfect for post-surgery workouts
- Can take a while to balance properly
- Rockers can be slippery
Stability Wobble Cushion
- 【Helps Children Stay Focused】- Our wobble seat helps absorb kids' energy and allows them to sit still for long periods and our desk workout equipment helps them stay focused in the classroom. Our...
- 【Relieves Back Pain & Improves Posture】- Placing the wobble board on the office chair can prevent you from sitting in the same posture all the time to relieve back pain and improve posture, making...
- 【Improves Balance & Core Strength】- Use our balance disk during exercises such as standing on the balancing pod, and wiggle seat can strengthen your core muscles and improve your balance,...
- 【Inflation Pump Included】- The balance disc is 34cm/13.4in in diameter, and our balance pad the maximum weight limit is 1000 lb. Includes an easy-inflation pump, you can inflate to different...
- 【100% Satisfaction Guaranteed】- We provide you with 30-Day Hassle-Free Returns, 12-Month Warranty & Lifetime Customer Service.
Once you’ve mastered the Balance Pad, it’s recommended that you move onto something a little more substantial, this is where a wobble cushion comes in.
This is a great beginner balance device for standing on, sitting on, or working out on. Like other wobble boards, this will help you build a killer core in a safe and efficient environment.
The wobble cushion is inflatable so you can manage the difficulty and hardness of the cushion, basically less air means more wobble, and more air creates a more solid platform for you to work on. It comes with a handy hand pump that is easy to use.
- Can be used standing or sitting
- Comes with a free pump
- Small and easy to store
- More suited to rehab than a full workout
- Narrow foot placement
NALANDA Balance Board
- 【41.5cm(16.34inch) Big Size With 24.5°Section Angle / 360° Rotation】Bigger size than most wobble boards and rocker boards in the market. The professional designed 24.5°section angle keeps the...
- 【Direct Contact With The Skin Material Used: Strong, Stable PP Base and Anti-slip TPE Bottom】 Made of high-quality environmentally friendly PP&TPE material, which is completely non-toxic. Both PP...
- 【Healthier and Safer / Heavy Duty Support Up to 660 lbs / Easy To Clean】Not just anti-slip top surface - Massage Surface,can enjoy massages while doing exercise. This heavy-duty wobble balance...
- 【Multi-usage Wobble Board, Portable Dual Handle Design】360 Degree Rotation, Great to do infinite exercises like basic stance ,staggered stance, tilts and squats,leg lifts,planks and pushups.Dual...
- 【True Quality Assurance】The workout board / core trainer is backed by unbeatable quality and customer support, which come with 12 month warranty & life time after-service.
The Isokinetics Balance Board is one of the best budget balance boards on our list. The board has a removable fulcrum, which provides two levels of difficulty, making this a board that will last you longer than a number of the other boards. A great feature for someone who is a little strapped for cash and still wants a quality product.
- Textured Surface to prevent slippage
- Two settings, novice, and advance
- Easily cleanable
- No intermediate setting
- The item becomes loose over time
Yes4all Wobble Board
- GREAT ADDITION TO DAILY WORKOUT: Help improve balance, achieve better core stability, increase alertness, and support multiple exercises like pushups and planks
- HEALTH RESTORATION: Standing on the balance disk and shifting the weight in a 360 degree rotation will support strength training and functional restoration
- SOLID CONSTRUCTION : The balance trainer supports 300 pounds; Anti skid pad on the surface improves grip; The 15,75 inches diameter accommodates both feet
- 360 DEGREE ROTATION AND 15 DEGREE TILT ANGLE: The design enables dynamic leg and feet movement, being great to perform side to side, front to back, and more
- VERSATILE AND COMPACT BALANCE DISC: Just carry this portable wobble disc anywhere for your workouts or use it as a standing desk balance board
The Yes4All wobble board is the first board on our list with a half-spherical fulcrum on the bottom. This gives you a 360-degree range of movement and allows you to move in every direction because of its bottom. Some great exercises to do on this wobble board include squats and pushups, either with hands on the board or with feet. Make your exercises even more difficult and add in a kettlebell or a weight to increase the resistance. This is a great wobble board to help you build your overall core strength.
- Variety of Colours Available
- Grip tape makes product super sticky
- Wooden product is environmentally friendly
- Shoes are needed as grip tape is uncomfortable in bare feet
- 360-degree balance can be difficult for beginners
REVBalance Rocker Board
- ALL AROUND TRAINING: Use it just for fun, use it for hardcore workouts, use it for tricks, or use it while watching TV. The 101 v2 can be used just about any way you can imagine, and we provide you...
- START SLOW, GO BIG: Beginners can start with the 101 v2 thanks to it's easy adjustability and included detailed digital guide. You can progress to more advanced settings over time, and even the most...
- MAGSWITCH ADJUSTABLE STOPS: The 101 v2 features our magnetic stop system, which is adjustable in seconds without any tools. Beginners can start slow by setting a shorter rolling distance, and work...
- DURASOFT TRACTION: Our exclusive traction surface is extremely comfortable to use with bare feet, or with shoes, and super durable at the same time. It won’t scratch you or your floors like other...
- PREMIUM CONSTRUCTION: Designed and Handcrafted In The USA, the 101 v2 is built to last, and look good doing it too.
This is our first real roller board on the list. More for the advanced balance board user the 3B Scientific Balance board is made from solid wooden construction, covered in rubber for grip. The rubber grip is perfect for barefoot fighters. The board is comfortably big without being too imposing and is a great rocker board at a reasonable price.
- Lipped Ends prevent falling off
- Grippy rubber bottom
- The product finished with an anti-humidity coating
- The roller is fixed onto the product
- Rocker foam started to wear after a bit of use
Revolution FIT 3-in-1 Balance Board Training System
The Revolution 3-in-1 Balance board is a roller board, rocker and wobble board all rolled into one. The wobble board is perfect for beginners, whereas more experienced users can level up to the roller and rocker boards. This is the most versatile board on our list and with a few months of using this, your core will dramatically improve and so will your fight game.
- Comes with 3 different pieces for different workouts
- Challenges novices and advanced users equally
- Modern looking design
- Roller is a smaller diameter than most
- Board has been known to flex in the middle
The History of the Balance Board
The balance board was originally designed for skiers and surfers to allow them to keep sharp during the off-season and to keep their bodies tuned in at night after competition. However, it wasn’t until it was used by circus performers that their popularity grew. Often you would see clowns on the balance board juggling to their heart’s content.
Balance and Wobble boards are used to develop a fighter’s balance, motor coordination skills, and core strength. They are used in the physiotherapy of people reaching old age to help them avoid disastrous injury-causing falls. They are also used in ankle and knee rehabilitation.
Beyond their athletic improving abilities, they are used to expand neural networks to allow a more cohesive use of the left and right hemispheres of the brain. This is especially useful with children to help with cognitive development. They are used to help dancers be light on their feet, help teach musicians how to hold their instruments properly and securely, and as a form of yoga. They are a great combination of fun and fitness, which is why they are so popular with children.
What Makes a Good Balance Board for BJJ and MMA?
When you’re looking for the right balance board you want to be looking for a board thats obviously not going to break at the first sign of movement. You’ll want to have something that is durable and long-lasting. You will need to keep an eye on any weaknesses on the board as wear and tear can easily happen along the top of the board and the fulcrum at the base.
Balance Board Grip
Some boards that have been molded by plastic have grip marks designed into them so you can jump on your board straight away without slipping off, this is perfect for a Jiu-Jitsu or MMA fighter who regularly trains barefoot. Other boards that are made of wood will have grip textured into the board or will have skateboarding grip tape applied to help keep the rider glued.
Balance Board Difficulty
It is always sensible to choose a balance and wobble board depending on your skill level. You’ll obviously want to choose a board that you can actually use and make improvements on. You will need to be honest with yourself really, there is the option of buying multi-difficulty balance boards and balance boards always come with additional accessories to make things harder or more fun.
Different Types of Balance & Wobble Board
When you think of a balance board this is what you would normally think of. This is useful for hip movement and hip surfing when you’re looking to pass guard. The rider will rock back and forth along half a cylinder in the center of the board.
Similar to rocker boards, wobble boards are circular with a sphere in the middle that you balance on. For an extra dimension of difficulty, you can rotate on the wobble board. Perfect for misdirection and fast pivoting.
Cylinder Roller Board
This is where the difficulty really ramps up. Ideal for surfers in the off-season the cylinder roller board will have two pieces of the kit, the cylinder, and the board. The board is normally shaped like a mini surfboard or skateboard and the roller tube is not too dissimilar to a foam roller. This is definitely not recommended for beginners and requires a lot of space to work on, just in case of the odd falling incident. We wouldn’t want you to be breaking your best china.
Sphere Roller Board
This is the extreme difficulty mode of the balance board and should only be used if you are a seasoned expert. This is essentially a ball and a board that you will balance on. This is not to be taken lightly but if you master it, you will have the core and the guard passing balance of a true pro. A lot of expert snowboarders, surfers, and skiers use this in their off-season but be warned this is not for beginners and can cause you serious injury if you’re not careful.