Becoming a good boxer, and then a good, complete MMA fighter, requires you to develop several skills and attributes.
To the untrained eye, boxing can sometimes seem like it’s not that complicated, and in essence, it isn’t; you’re basically trying to hit your opponent harder and more frequently whilst trying to receive as little hits yourself. Now, obviously, this is severely simplifying boxing but you get the basic idea.
But to be able to land those hard shots, and land a lot of them, it requires more than just strength and brutality. You need to be fast, agile, dexterous, powerful, elusive and many other traits.
You use the heavy bag to primarily to practice heavy punches and build power whilst you use a speed bag to develop, you guessed it, your speed. Speed bags, heavy bags and punch mitts are common pieces of equipment that you’ll no doubt use in your daily training. But there are many other excellent pieces of kit that are just as great and useful but don’t receive as much attention as the big boys.
Reflex bags are one such example. Reflex bags are small, compact free-standing bags. As their name suggests, they are used to practice your reflexes and can also be used to hone your precision and head movement, etc.
Unlike a lot of boxing apparatus, these reflex bags are fairly low-profile, meaning that you don’t need a lot of space to use and house them, unlike a heavy bag for example. They are also not overly common in boxing gyms, so if you want to use this excellent bag then it’s best you buy your own one for your home.
Best Reflex Bag Reviewed
Anyone can stand in front of a heavy bag and throw big, clumsy punch, one after another, but very few people can land crisps, sharp, precise shots on a smaller target such as the one on a reflex bag. Training with a reflex bag can give you that vital edge against your opponents.
Everlast Free-Standing Reflex Bag
- Reflex Bag for training and agility/quickness
Another great reason to use reflex bags is to develop your mobility. In boxing, you don’t just stand there in the middle of the ring and throw your hands, you have to move around. Close the distance, back away, move laterally, etc.
A reflex bag like this one, with a small, low-profile base, is the absolute perfect piece of equipment to practice this with. The low-profile base allows you get closer to the bag to practice closing the distance, getting into clinch distance, etc.
The bag itself doesn’t have that many parts and is therefore easy and painless to assemble. You can also adjust the height of the device just as easily to both match your individual needs and to also match the height of a potential, upcoming opponent.
MaxxMMA Speed-Adjustable Freestanding Reflex Bag Kit
- 【Speed Adjustable】Exclusive Patented Speed-Adjustable free standing reflex bag. The slow mode is perfect for beginnners, and the fast mode is great for even coaches.
- 【Height Adjustable】The height of the punching ball stand can be easily adjusted from 48 inches to 61.5 inches. Our pedestal punching ball is perfect for kids 6 and up, youth, teens, adults, men...
- 【Improved Punching Ball】2020 Updated Version with better material for inflatable punching ball, ONE YEAR Replacement Guarantee. 【Complete Boxing Set 】Our full punching bag set is extremely...
- 【Spring 120,000 Times Bending Test】Our speed punching bag uses top-quality PVC, chrome-plating steel, and the spring passes the test of bending 120,000 times. Durable and Stable, perfect for...
- 【Large Capacity Base】The boxing bag come with a highly durable stand and a heavy-duty base. The plastic base tank can be filled with up to 30 pounds of water or 55 pounds of sand.
Many experienced boxing trainees buy reflex bags as they readily recognise the benefits in having their own device to use at home as much as possible. These same experienced fighters most likely already have gloves, mitts and other pieces of gear. If you’re a beginner, or just simply don’t have gloves, etc. then this is the bag for you.
With the reflex bag, you get a quality pair of gloves so you can get your workout in immediately after you’ve set it up.
You can adjust the bag height as well as the bag speed also. With the speed adjustment, the faster you make it the more difficult it becomes which means you can actually adjust the difficulty of the bag as you become more proficient.
Costzon Boxing Punching Bag Freestyle
- Strengthen Kids’ Body: Let's punching! The punching bag for kids is conducive to good health! Prepare a punching set for your beloved children to exercise their sensibility and flexibility. Hand-eye...
- Adjustable Height of Spring: This kids boxing bag can be easily adjusted from 32" to 48.5" high. This kids boxing set is so convenient to use for a long period of time and it is a great partner to...
- Durable Material for Long Time Use: Made from PE + PVC Leather + Iron, this pedestal punching bag for kids is damp proofing, anti-collision, rust-resistant. Once it get dirty, you can use a piece of...
- Stable Stand Base: The 17” diameter base can be filled with water or sand for the enhancement of firmness. Meanwhile, the kids punching bag can be set no matter indoors or outdoors. Whether you are...
- Free Boxing Gloves & Extra Pump: The boxing gloves for kids are soft, which feature good cushioning performance to improve safety. The extra pump allows you to deflate or re-inflate the boxing ball...
This reflex bag from Costzon is highly-adjustable. The height can be adjusted from as low as 35.4” all the way up to 51.2”, which means that even the kids can have a go! Regardless of height and body shape, you’ll be able to have the bag at the perfect height for your training. If you have shoulder pain/issues you can even lower the bag to ease the strain on those delicate, often-injured muscles.
Only the best materials have been used in this construction, including strong rust-resistant iron for the adjustable bar and easily-cleaned and maintained PVC leather for the bag itself. You can just use a bit of wet rag to completely clean the bag and keep it fresh and pristine; no need for fancy, expensive cleaning products.
Pure Boxing Punch and Play Free-Standing Reflex Bag
- Adjustable height from 35" to 47", recommended for ages 3-7
- Plastic base to reduce scratching of floors with a built-in spring action connector for rebounding action
- Helps increase agility, hand-eye coordination, and overall fitness
- Base fills with 15 lbs of sand or water for stability, weight can be reduced by simple plug removal
- Includes one pair of kids' boxing gloves, inflation tools, everything needed for setup
This is a great reflex bag if you have kid(s) that are into boxing or are just getting started. This bag is made especially for kids in the ages between 3 and 7, though kids older can probably still get a lot out of it too.
The base can be filled with either 15 pounds of sand or water to keep the structure safe and stable and to stop it from toppling over when used. The plastic base also prevents scratching whilst still being easy to move around your home or gym.
Pure Boxing have included bag gloves and inflation tools so you can quickly set it up and get going right away. Everything need for a quick and easy setup is included in the kit.
Ringside Fitness Reflex Bag
- This bag's height can be easily adjusted between 49"-69"
- The plastic base tank can be filled with up to 125 pounds of water or 240 pounds of sand
- Mimics the movement of an actual opponent via the specifically-placed chrome spring
- Made of easy to clean durable synthetic leather
Everything that Ringside makes is of the highest possibly quality. They’ve got a huge name and brand behind them and they protect it by only crafting the best products on the market. Their reflex bag is no different and no departure from their rigorous manufacturing procedures.
The base can be filled with either 125 lbs of water or 240 lbs of sand, whichever you like.
The specifically-placed chrome spring expertly mimics the movement of an opponent so you get the most realistic boxing experience possible with a piece of equipment.
The bag is made from durable synthetic leather, making it both durable and easy to clean. No rips or tears on this bag.
Reflex bags are cheap and compact, making them the perfect piece of boxing gear to buy from your own home. What other apparatus allow you to build speed, accuracy, precision and mobility all in one? And without taking up all of your room and without being a pain to set up.