Some form of strength training or resistance training is mandatory if you take your MMA or BJJ training seriously. Technique and skill will take you far, but will still only take you so far. You have to make sure you have the cardio, the stamina, the flexibility, and of course, the strength. Without these attributes, you could be the most skilled BJJ technician in the world but you will be overwhelmed by the guy who has both the skills and the strength/athleticism.
But going to the gym every day can be a pain. You’re already making the trek to train MMA or grapple on the ground but it’s an arduous task to go to the gym to lift weights as well.
Not to mention, expensive. Those gym memberships add up over the months, especially when you’re paying for BJJ classes, etc. Even worse when you come home from work and have to go straight back out to strength training. Sometimes you just don’t have the will or discipline to push yourself through it.
There is, however, an alternative way. A better way. A home gym. Whilst they may seem like a hefty initial payout, they are one of the best long-term investments that you can buy. Your home gym could pay for itself within a year and can easily last decades if well-maintained and looked after. More than one person can use your home gym but only one can use your extortionate membership fee at the local gymnasium.
The Best Home Gym Reviewed
It’s a hundred times easier to get a workout in when you don’t even have to leave your home. These home multi-gyms come equipped with various pieces of equipments that can target different muscle groups and give you a killer workout. The whole family can use it! Think about how much money you’ll be saving on gym fees alone!
Powerline Home Gym with Leg Press
- MULTI FUNCTIONAL: The Powerline Home Gym with Leg Press P2LPX complete gym from Body-Solid is a comprehensive home workout machine for total-body training with an added leg press
- SIX STATIONS: This fitness equipment provides six workout stations, including multi-press arms, lat pull-down ab crunch, functional pulleys, leg extension/leg curl and seated row
- WEIGHT STACK: The home gym comes with a standard 160-pound alloy weight stack
- ADJUSTABLE: Ideal for a total body workout in small compact spaces, and features a single adjustable seat with a two-way adjustable back pad
- DIMENSIONS: Measures 71 by 66 by 83 inches (L x W x H) and weighs 483. 5 pounds. Ships in 7 boxes
This home gym has a variety of pulleys and levers that you can use to do a truly limitless amount of exercises. Leg press, lat pull-downs, cable curls and press downs, chest press, and the list goes on and on. This sole piece of equipment can work every single muscle in your body in just one workout.
It comes equipped with a 160 pound weight stack with the option to upgrade it a further 50 pounds heavier to 210 pounds. But even the buffest guy out there won’t be testing the limits of this machine any time soon.
The strongest selling point to this machine is the added leg press machine. Most home gyms don’t have their own built-in leg press and many don’t even have leg options at all.
Marcy Smith Machine with Bench and Weight Bar
- This all-in-one gym equipment features a variety of fitness exercises to tone and strengthens the core, thighs, arms, and legs. It’s a combination of a Smith machine, pull-up bar, cable crossovers,...
- Power-up your upper body muscles with the Smithstyle press bar and cable crossovers, and strengthen the lower body muscles with the leg developer.
- This multi-functional machine will help you target the different body parts. For the chest and shoulders area, you may do some crossover workouts through the steel aircraft cable system, pull-up bars,...
- For thighs and legs training, the bottom pulley and leg developer allow you to target the hams, quads, and glutes.
- SM-4008 features a removable utility bench to have a full range of strength exercises. The workout bench has a padded seat that is adjustable to multiple different positions
Some people find that the chest press machine on some home gyms are a bit lacking. If you’re one such person, or are just skeptical of the functionality, you’ll be happy to know that this home gym from Marcy comes with it’s own smith machine.
With the smith machine, you can use it like a full bench press as well as full squat capabilities. Not many home gyms allow you to do full barbell squats!
This home gym set also comes with a wide variety of accessories including a v-bar and tricep ropes that you can easily attack and detach to the pulleys to further customise your strength routines.
Bowflex PR1000 Home Gym
- 25plus exercises that cover the entire body
- Over 200 lb. Power Rod resistance
- Multiple cable pulley position allows you to easily change the angle of resistance and increase effectiveness of many exercises
- Bench converts to a rolling seat for aerobic rowing
- Maximize your gym space with vertical folding bench
Bowflex boast that their PR1000 home gym can perform over 30 strength exercises and provides from as little as 5 pounds of force, all the way up to 210 pounds of force. This is a home gym that both the complete beginner and the advanced lifter can benefit from.
It even features a rowing machine rail so that part of the machine can be folded up and away to save space.
This machine can work your entire body to provide a complete and balanced increase in strength and functionality.
Bowflex also offer a 1 year warranty for the frame as well as a 5 year warranty for the rods. This machine is strong and sturdy, but you know that they’ve covered in case of any accidental breaks.
Costway Home Gym Weight Training Machine
- Color: Black; Weight: 65lbs; Weight Stack: 90lbs;Weight Capacity: 220lbs
- Assembled Dimensions:60.6"X45.3"X79.5"
- Seat Height Adjustment: 35” – 44“;Height With 4 Adjustable Positions
- Pads Dimensions: 26” X 10” X 2”(LXWXH); 12” X 12” X 2”(LXWXH)
- 6 Muscle-Sculpting Workout Stations Include A High Pulley, Chest Press, Chest Fly, Leg Developer, Preacher Curl And Low Pulley Station
If you’re worried that you may not have adequate space to accommodate a full home gym in your house then it might be prudent to go with this Costway Home Gym. It’s slightly smaller and lower profile than some of the fuller, more bulky home gyms on our list and so doesn’t stand out as much. Also perfect for those who don’t want their home gym to be as noticeable or as dominating.
Though it is still crafted with the best possible materials to make a strong and stable machine that can withstand the rigours of a hard workout. The smaller size does not make any sacrifices with sturdiness and durability.
This machine will provide you with a great full body workout with its vast array of built-in stations such as chest fly, leg developer and preacher curl stations.
BodyCraft Galena Pro Home Gym
- Dimensions: 58" Wide (Pec Dec) x 72" Deep (Press Station) x 81" High. Weight Stack: 200 lbs.
- Bench Press Station With Adjustable Starting Point: This allows for different size users and also provides a variety of exercises including Bench Press, Incline Press, Shoulder Press, and Mid Row....
- Low Pulley Station: Easy to access and plenty of room for exercises such as leg kicks, arm curls, low rows, deltoid raises, and more.
- Adjustable, Comfortable: Seat and seat back are fully adjustable. The high density foam is contoured for lumbar support and covered by heavy gauge vinyl.
- Dual-Function Pec Dec: The only pec dec made that provides traditional flys and dumbbell style flys. Traditional flys are performed by pressing elbows against the pads. Dumbbell style flys are...
This is another somewhat compact home gym that will go great in homes that have less space for workout equipments. Though if you do have the space, you can even purchase an optional leg press station to provide you with the ultimate home gym to work your whole body.
This home gym features two main stations that can be moved and manipulated to target different muscles; one station that operates from a low pulley and the other which works from a high pulley. The high pulley is optimal for exercises such as lat pull-downs and chest presses whilst the low pulley is better for exercises such as chest flyes and cable curls.
You can also purchase weight stack shrouds which cover the weight stacks which some people deem unsightly. These shrouds are also a good safety feature as they prevent people, such as small children, from sticking their hands or fingers between the weight stacks as they’re moving.
If you have a fully working home gym in your house, you’re far, far more likely to get that workout in. Having a long and stressful day and then having to go to a commercial gym is tiring. It can be exhausting and understandably, often most people just won’t bother to go at all.
It’s much easier, and more efficient, to just come home and work out in the comfort and privacy of your own residence.