A grappling dummy is a must if you are training for any type of self-defence, Brazilian jiu-jitsu, and other similar types of training that require another individual. In terms of sparring, there isn’t always a close training partner available so a grappling dummy is the next best solution.
Finding a quality grappling dummy that’s going to hold up to the demands of your training and work well for your needs can be a challenge. There are a lot of different grappling dummies out there so choosing the right one really depends on a lot of factors – like your needs, your use, and even the size.
Whether you’re looking for grappling dummies for BJJ or you simply want a grappling dummy to practice techniques with at home, we have the best grappling dummies on the market for you here. In this guide, we will share our top picks for the best grappling dummy.
We have some great information, as well as comprehensive reviews for our top picks. Stick with us to learn everything you need to know to choose a grappling dummy, and then some.
The Best Grappling Dummies Reviewed
In these reviews, we will share with you a complete comprehensive overview of each of our top picks for the best grappling dummy. There are several great options here and you will even see how each one stands out to us as well.
Here you will find solutions for punching bag alternatives, ground and pound dummies, bjj and mma training, and martial arts practices, among other needs.
Let’s take a look at the options!
Editors Choice: Celebrita MMA Grappling Dummy
This first of the best grappling dummies is our top choice from the editor. The Celebrita MMA grappling dummy is a great choice. It comes unfilled so you can fill it however you like or need to get the weight of the dummy perfect for you. Filled or unfilled, it’s really great quality for MMA,BJJ, and more.
This dummy comes ready to be packed and can be filled to weigh up to 100 pounds if you choose the right material. It can be filled with anything like recycled textile cuttings or shredded materials or even just old clothes. Some users simply fill it with cotton or other generalized filler. This is a 70-inch dummy so it’s perfect for adults.
This title MMA legged dummy allows you to practice with a lifelike opponent. The legs are curved at 90 degrees to give you some additional functionality. It even postures so your practice can be more realistic than with a traditional punching bag.
This BJJ grappling dummy stands out in all of the ways that it should. You can position it however you need and give yourself some training versatility in the process.
Most Robust: Combat Sports Grappling Dummies
Train like a pro with the Combat Sports 90 lb. Legged Grappling Dummy.
Perfect for MMA, jujitsu, martial arts and more, this grappling dummy is crafted from durable synthetic leather and features a traditional body shape with arms and legs that can be bent into almost any position.
Its heavy-duty construction stands up to repeated use and abuse, while the 90-pound weight helps you build strength and increase your endurance.
With its realistic feel and range of motion, this grappling dummy offers an authentic training experience that prepares you for anything in the ring.
- Dummy is available in multiple weight options
- Realistic for adults to practice submissions, locks, throws, takedowns, and more
- Heavy-duty military-grade vinyl
- Easy to clean as needed
- Perfect for practicing martial arts, wrestling, jiu-jitsu, and any other style
- This MMA grappling dummy is not as flexible so it may not position well for certain positions and drilling
This legged grappling dummy comes in lifelike form. The grappling dummy is one for the books with heavy-duty materials and a heavy build. It’s labelled as the ultimate training partner for any type of submission training and practice. It allows you to practice all of the moves in a realistic manner. This dummy weighs about 120 pounds and stands 5′ 10″.
Since this dummy is made for heavy training, you can train as hard as you please and not have to worry about injuring your partner. Just let it all out – the dummy can definitely take it. It’s heavy, it’s lifelike, and it’s flexible so you can practice moves from ground and pound manoeuvres to takedowns, strikes, and all of your drills. The best part is, the dummy is available in different weights so you can choose what is right for you.
The material is high-quality military-grade vinyl. This helps with the weight but also the quality of construction so you can practice and not worry about the arms ripping or anything like that while you work through your drills. It’s steadily solid and reliable.
Most Versatile: Ring to Cage Unfilled Upright Grappling Throwing Dummy
- This product is perfect for those who wish to train in MMA, Jiu Jitsu, and Wrestling. It is made of highly durable polyester coated vinyl, giving it the same strength as leather.
- With this item, training partners don't have to worry about causing any injuries while practicing take downs, throws, submissions, and strikes. This is an ideal tool for honing their skills without fear of harm.
- This listing is for unfilled dummies in a variety of sizes and weights. These include 3'6" 30 lbs, 5'4" 50 lbs, 5'6" 75 lbs, 5'8" 110 lbs, and 5'10" 140 lbs.
- Durable synthetic leather material
- Works for all positions and drilling
- Available in different sizes for adult or children
- Can be filled, however you prefer, for training
- Combat sports grappling dummy that holds up
- Stuffing grappling dummies like this can sometimes be tricky to get the limbs and arms to cooperate
This next option is one of the most versatile options in terms of positions and flexible limbs. From standing to throwing and everything in between, this one comes in different sizes and can be filled to your weight needs for training.
Ring to Cage brings you quality combat sports grappling dummy made of synthetic leather using a polyester-coated vinyl to mimic leather. This helps keep the price down a bit while still giving you the durability and flexible support that you need for practice.
The limbs and arms are realistic for adults but you can also choose other sizes. This is really great for upright or ground training and you can work on throwing, locks, submissions, or standing drills. It has no feet but a chain attachment would help to position it upright if needed as well. It comes unfilled so you will just need to plan for that.
Ring to Cage MMA Training and Fitness Dummy, Unfilled
- This dummy is ideal for a variety of activities, such as grappling, throwing, training, exercise, and MMA ground and pound. It comes with instructions for filling, making it a great addition to any fitness routine.
- This dummy is perfect for any type of fitness or training exercise. It has four padded and reinforced handles, two on each side, as well as a top handle.
- Grips permit serious Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) competitors and fitness enthusiasts to perform a variety of motions such as pushing, pulling, throwing, raising, rolling and thrusting.
- This product is crafted with durable polyester-coated vinyl, offering the same level of sturdiness as leather, and features triple stitching for added strength.
- Measures: 38” x 15”, Weighs 60 Lbs. Color available: Black only
- Made with durable and reliable materials that Ring to Cage is known for
- Comes not filled but with instructions for filling
- Perfect for wrestling and standing drills
- Includes strongholds for arms and feet to practice position
- Versatile for various types of practising and drills
- There is nothing to fully close the bag when filled and some users had issues with the fill occasionally escaping the bag.
If you’re looking for a dummy that’s simple but versatile, this might be the one for you. This grappling dummy is probably not ideal for Brazilian jiu-jitsu in all capacities but you could use it for some training there. It’s a dummy best suited to MMA and it’s made with the traditional ring to cage quality that you can depend on.
This bag comes unfilled but does come with filling instructions so you can set the grappling dummy up to your needs. As far as grappling dummies go, this is not the shape of a person, it looks more like a punching bag. The good news is, it still has lifelike weight and even curves. It has handles so you can practice different manoeuvres on the grappling dummy, just as you would a training partner.
The nice thing about this grappling dummy is the versatility to use it for all types of drills from takedowns and submission to throwing, locks, and more. It can stand upright or take to the ground and it works like a bag for throwing, pushing, thrusting, rolling, punching, and more.
Leatheray MMA Jiu Jitsu Grappling Dummy
- This BJJ Grappling Dummy is crafted from top-grade materials to ensure long-lasting durability, with double stitched seams that won't come undone. It is designed with martial arts training in mind, allowing for throws, wrestling, boxing, MMA training, punching bags, holds and locks, and submissions. Perfect for those looking to sharpen their skills in the combat sports world.
- This MMA Grappling dummy is perfect for Jiu Jitsu training and comes unfilled. While the picture may demonstrate what it looks like when filled, it needs to be filled with either recycle textile cuttings, cloths or shredding, or you can buy filler material such as rubber granulates for the legs separately. Sand should not be used to fill this product.
- When selecting a grappling dummy, it is important to choose the size that best suits your needs. Punching, kickboxing and BJJ dummies are available in various sizes for children, adolescents and adults. For adults, a 5 foot (59 inch) or 6 foot (70 inch) dummy is recommended, while a 4 foot (48 inch) dummy is suitable for children.
- This Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Straight Grappling Dummy MMA Wrestling Judo is made of durable and unbreakable material, such as top grade canvas or synthetic leather with Original YKK zippers for an overlap flap. This product can range in weight from 35 kg to 55 kgs, making it the perfect tool for practicing takedowns, throws, sweeps and submissions - even withstanding the toughest punishment from professional MMA fighters, Jiu Jitsu practitioners and Judo experts.
- This grappling dummy is ideal for honing mixed martial arts techniques. It features full rotational mobility, allowing practitioners to practice strikes, punches, kicks, throws, elbows and other immobilizing moves.
- Designed for adult use
- Works for submission, throws, locks, and more
- Made with durable materials
- Quality grappling dummy you can depend on
- Fairly new to the market so not a lot of information to review
Next up, is a high-quality leather-like material perfect for title martial arts and other techniques. It is made with canvas vinyl and can be used for wrestling, title MMA, jiu-jitsu, and more. This grappling dummy can be posed or set up to work perfectly for you.
With limbs and arms, you can practice your submissions, locks, and other drilling with ease. You even have a targeted face that is pretty neat for your throws. It has no feet but so no standing position but it is durable and bendable. You will fill the grappling dummy yourself to your needs.
Ring to Cage Youth or Adult Deluxe Grappling Dummy
- The 3.0 version has been enhanced with the inclusion of hands and feet, making it now available in both youth and adult sizes.
- This product is perfect for Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Grappling, Wrestling, and MMA Ground and Pound. We offer international shipping as well.
- This dummy, made of heavy duty 22oz Polyester coated vinyl, is tightly filled and perfect for use in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (BJJ), Judo, Wrestling and Mixed Martial Arts!
- The Adult Dummy is available in a range of colors, including Black/Red, Marine Green, Red, and Blue. It stands at a height equivalent to that of a 6 foot tall man and weighs around 65-70 pounds. Meanwhile, the Kids Dummy comes in Blue/Red and is designed to approximate the size of a 4.6 foot child, weighing in at 30-35 pounds.
- Tight filled with quality build
- Realistically sized and designed
- Perfect for youth or adult grappling
- This grappling dummy comes at a higher price but the quality is there
If you want the best of the best, this is a great adult or youth grappling dummy. It’s a high-end option, which is reflected in the price tag as well. You can choose from multiple colors on this grappling dummy. It is one of the best grappling dummies on the market because it is very lifelike in shape and size.
This grappling dummy has feet, legs, arms, and limbs. All of those dummy limbs are movable and flexible. Whether you are working on submission or a separate title move, you can get it here. Any type of drilling is a go!
Jayefo Tonjon MMA Submission Grappling Dummy
- USES | BBJ / WRESTLING / MMA / FIGHTING / PUNCHING BAG.
- This product will arrive empty, and you can fill it with polyfillers or cotton for the best possible result. If you are looking for something more cost effective, you could opt to fill the item with used clothes.
- This dummy is crafted using EMEX-R canvas, which is designed for long-term use. It features lifetime zippers with a warranty and heavy duty printed targets for added durability.
- The capability to move freely is analogous to the way a human body moves; the same outcome can be seen with this "dummy".
- Made with durable materials
- Designed for lifelike dummy practice
- Soft and flexible
- This is made to be lightweight and yet realistic for grappling dummy practice and training
If you just want grappling dummies that are cheap and yet efficient for training and practice, these might be a great option for you. This unfilled bag is budget-friendly and lifelike as well. It comes unfilled and you can prepare the dummy to your liking as needed.
This is a mobile and easy to work with a dummy. It has targeted and all of the limbs are mobile. With reinforced stitching and soft material, you really have everything you need here. It’s lifelike and is made well as far as grappling dummies go.
Hawk Sports Grappling Dummy Bag
- Hawk grappling dummy is a versatile training tool that can be used for a variety of sports, including Mixed Martial Arts (MMA), Boxing, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (BJJ), Karate, and Judo.
- Practicing martial arts with a Hawk throwing dummy can provide you with an authentic, hands-on experience that is invaluable to perfecting your grappling, throwing, and punching techniques. This realistic training tool will help to hone your skills and take them to the next level.
- This training aid is specifically designed for grappling. It has a soft surface so that it is easy to land on, yet still offers a realistic feel of having a partner to train with. It is 100% safe and simple to utilize.
- Our 3 year replacement warranty ensures you won't find this level of quality at such a low price anywhere else in the martial arts gear market. All limbs are able to move freely and all areas can be used for striking drills, plus it's perfect for ground work and other grappling exercises.
- The 5FT Hawk Wrestling Dummy provides you with a great opportunity to customize it to fit your needs. You can fill the dummy with a variety of materials, such as old clothes, towels, blankets, raw cotton, poly-fil or any other cotton filler found at local stores or online. Join the #HawkSports community today and become part of the growing number of strong individuals!
- Great for takedowns and other manoeuvres to practice
- Reliable grappling dummies
- Great for youth to work with
- The arms are very short so may not feel as realistic during practice manoeuvres, particularly takedowns
Finally, this grappling dummy is another budget-friendly choice that is simple but great for practice. The grappling dummy will come to you unfilled and it measures about 5 feet so it’s perfect for youth dummy practice needs.
Whether you’re practising Brazilian jiu-jitsu, wrestling, or some other sport, this dummy can serve you well. It’s simple and yet reliable with plenty of flexibility or versatility to help you get the most out of your training time!
How to Choose Grappling Dummies
Now that you’ve seen the options, we have a few simple things to keep in mind or consider as you make a determination on what might be best for you.
Pay attention to the sizes. Some dummies are much more realistic than others. You may have a preference as to what your dummy looks or feels like during practice so check out the dimensions and the weight capacities in order to be sure that the size will really work for your needs.
There are several different aspects of the dummy to consider here. For example, does it have legs and arms and feet? Are the limbs proportioned well to the size? How tall or long is the dummy? All of these are questions to consider.
In most cases, there are varying size options to choose from so just be sure to watch this before you buy so you get what is really right for your needs.
Filled Vs. Unfilled
You will find that most of the dummies come to you unfilled but there are also many you can buy that are filled. Buying them unfilled allows you to stuff them to your own specifications but stuffing them can sometimes be quite the challenge. Be prepared to use a lot of items for stuffing and take some time to get it just right.
You will also find that purchasing an unfilled grappling dummy will most likely ship quite a bit cheaper than purchasing a filled dummy. This is for obvious reasons as a filled dummy is much heavier in the end.
Your budget is an important aspect here. While we all certainly want to choose and purchase the very best option out there, the truth is that you have to find a grappling dummy within your allowable budget. If you’re purchasing multiple, the costs can certainly add up.
Find a grappling dummy that is reliably made with quality materials that won’t just rip or fall apart. You want this investment to last and considering it’s used for training and wrestling or self-defence manoeuvres, it needs to be durable.
Thankfully, there is a broad range of grappling dummy options with a broad range of prices as well. Even here in this guide, you will see quite an array in hopes that there is something for everyone available here.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the Best Grappling Dummy for Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu?
For jiu-jitsu, we recommend a positioning dummy that can be folded and bent into a kneeling position, among other styles. In this guide, the Editor’s Choice from Celebrita is a really great choice but any style designed with a similar concept would be suitable as well.
Are Grappling Dummies Worth it?
Absolutely! You or your child need to be able to practice and train with a lifelike element and a grappling dummy is the best way to provide that experience. You simply can’t get the same outcome from a bag or other similar items.
How Much Should My Grappling Dummy Weigh?
This really depends on your size and your needs. Most dummies weigh 100 pounds or less, even for a very large person using a dummy. For youth, the weight will probably be lower but for adults somewhere between 90-120 pounds is average.
How Do You Make a Jiu-Jitsu Dummy?
If you’re hard-pressed for a grappling dummy to practice takedowns and other methods, you can make your own as well. It probably won’t be quite as good but it can work in a pinch. If you have a spare Gi top, a belt, some bath towels, a hoodie, and a couple of pillows, you can assemble these to create your own DIY dummy.
We hope that you find this guide to the best grappling dummy to be a handy resource for understanding what to look for in a dummy and perhaps even finding your new dummy. It is important to consider quality as well as your needs and uses.
We are quite certain that there is an option here that will work for you!