Known to be one of the greatest grapplers’ the world has ever seen, Rickson’s credentials are nothing to be sniffed at.
Known for an unbelievable record of 400 wins and zero losses, Rickson is one of the most stoic and quotable martial artists around.
Rickson brought the sport of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu to the world with the documentary CHOKE which followed his journey through a vale tudo tournament in Japan, where he was able to demonstrate an incredible blend of mixed martial arts and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu to win the title.
Here are some of the best Rickson Gracie quotes handpicked by our team.
1. “Our fears don’t stop death, they stop life” – Rickson Gracie Quotes
2. “In life when presented with any situation, breathe, take time and focus and then decide what to do” – Rickson Gracie Quotes
3. “True strength is not always shown through victory. Stand up, try again and display strength of heart” – Rickson Gracie Quotes
4. “You have to find comfort in uncomfortable situations. You have to be able to live with your worst nightmare” – Rickson Gracie Quotes
5. “I’m always in control of my possibilities and my knowledge of my possibilities. Emotionally, technically and spiritualty. That’s what Jiu Jitsu gave me” – Rickson Gracie Quotes
6. “When you learn to see Jiu Jitsu as a whole, you learn to accept a loss, to forgive your adversary, to be more patient and balanced, to ask forgiveness as naturally as you stand up to a challenge” – Rickson Gracie Quotes
7. “Jiu Jitsu is perfect. It’s humans who make errors” – Rickson Gracie Quotes
8. “I see a need for a revolutionary process for Jiu Jitsu, a return to its essence as a style of self defense. I want to bring that concept of effectiveness rather than advantage points and little stalling positions” – Rickson Gracie Quotes
9. “A brave man, a real fighter is not measured by how many times he falls, but how many times he stands up” – Rickson Gracie Quotes
10. “It’s part of my life. Being engaged in the moment. Maybe it’s because I was born and raised on the mat, feeling the grips, feeling the touch, feeling the compromise, feeling the victory, feeling the defeat. It’s all about how I feel about things, never expect much but I always feel like I obey my heart” – Rickson Gracie Quotes
11. “There’s always a good side to everything. Nothing is totally desperate” – Rickson Gracie Quotes
12. “Sometimes you don’t have to win. You cannot win. But that has nothing to do with losing” – Rickson Gracie Quotes
13. “Fighting is not a physical thing. It’s a spiritual thing” – Rickson Gracie Quotes
14. “Not the past, not the future. Life is now” – Rickson Gracie Quotes
15. “My code of life and my personal bushido is honor, respect, loyalty, courage and surrender” – Rickson Gracie Quotes