If someone gets injured during MMA training, it’s normally from wrestling. This could be from just a freak accident or by falling awkwardly (very common) but is also often from not wearing the proper protective gear to mitigate damage.
Best Wrestling Knee Pads Reviewed
Bodyprox Protective Knee Pads
- 1 Pair Kneepads (Left and right), Unisex design, two sizes available. Polyester 45%/ Rubber 25%/ EVA 30%.
- Your Safety is Our Priority-made of high-density strengthen foam, good elasticity, breathable fabric keeps skin dry, and more comfortable.
- Ergonomic design, super lightweight, provides freedom of movement. An ideal knee protector for outdoor sports.
- Protect and Prevent knee injuries during exercise. Keep warm, prevention and reduction of stiff muscles and joints. Effectively impact proof, increase blood circulation.
- Great Grip, Non-Slip Feature! Easily put the knee pads on and forget that you had them on! That’s how comfortable it is whilst in use. No constant re-adjustment needed as it firmly hugs the knee!
These knee pads come in a complete set/pair, left and right in a unisex design that is available in two sizes. Whilst only having two sizes, both sizes can comfortably accommodate the legs/knees of a wide variety of sizes without being either too loose or too tight.
Bodyprox has somehow made these knee pads to be both heavy duty and lightweight. They provide you with an incredible amount of support but without being overly bulky or restricting your movement.
Whilst being worn, these pads keep the delicate ligaments and muscles around your knee warm, safe and secure. This prevents all manner of injuries from even occurring as well as putting your knees in the right environment to recover from pre-existing problems.
Maibu Protective Knee Pads
- Material: Cotton, Sponge. Good elasticity, breathable fabric, lightweight and more comfort
- Fit for leg circumference (knee above 3.94 inches): 14.96 - 20.47 inch
- Collision Avoidance sponge pad care. Effectively impact resistance, increase blood circulation, provide freedom of movement
- Non-slip design of inner layer provides optimum stability, keep your knee pads stay tight and snug during your whole workout
- Muscle Recovery and Prevent Injury. Keep warm, prevention and reduction of stiff muscles and joints. Ideal for sports such as wrestling, volleyball, cycling, football, basketball, skating, dance and...
These are another set of heavy duty, collision avoidance type of knee pads. Many knee pads operate by compressing against the knee to keep them warm, keep the blood flowing and to brace themselves snuggly against the knee to prevent twisting. The collision avoidance kind is for when you are going at it hard in training and need protection from active strikes and blows against your knees, like when someone shoots for a double leg and won’t stop until you’re flat on the mat. These knee pads are the kind that can really stop you from getting a bad knee injury.
Like the Bodyprox model, these are still quite slim and low-profile, not bulky like the kind of knee pads you wore as a child when learning to ride a bike for example.
Cliff Keen Wraptor Lycra Knee Pad 2.0
- Medium Size
- This sleek profile kneepad brings added comfort and function with stretch mesh panels on the back - ensuring a comfortable fit and increased performance on the mat!
- The Wraptor 2.0 also features anatomical wrap-around padding for high-impact absorption, lateral support, and a slim, comfortable fit
- Air-vent holes for greater breath-ability
- Inner terry-loop fabric for maximum comfort and absorption
Most knee pads come in few sizes. Some are one-size-fits-all and many come in limited sizes such as small/medium and large/x-large or something similar. Sometimes this works and the pad is able to accommodate the knees of a wide variety of sizes and sometimes it doesn’t. Cliff Keen have gotten around this issue but just simply offering this great product in plenty of different sizes to suit people of all shapes and sizes. Their site even includes a handy size guide so you can find a knee pad that fits you perfectly that will not only be more comfortable and enjoyable to wear but also actively improve your safety.
The anatomical wrap-around padding provides you high-impact absorption and lateral support, to keep every part of your knee safe and secure.
McDavid Knee Support
- SUPPORT / RELIEF – Get instant relief thanks to the compression. Our brace will stabilize your knee, preventing injury and help healing. The compression increases blood flow which lowers swelling...
- LATEX FREE COMFORT – Extremely breathable and low profile snug fit. Made of Neoprene for therapeutic warmth and healing. Gel Sorbothane insert for superb impact absorption. Outer Heavy-Duty Nylon...
- PREMIUM QUALITY – Made from the highest grades materials, our knee sleeve brace is made with protection and mobility as our top priorities. Take advantage of the years of McDavid experience in the...
- 100% MONEY BACK GUARANTEE - If you are not COMPLETELY satisfied, get in touch with us and we will provide you with an instant solution. For both right or left leg.
- SIZING -Knee measurement is the most important, if you measure between sizes we recommend going up one size for optimum comfort and fit
McDavid knows that with the knee, there are tons of different things that can go wrong. With so many vital ligaments surrounding the knee, there are a hundred different ways you can be injured and therefore will need a different type of knee pad to both heal injuries and prevent them from occurring completely.
They offer options including; a plain elastic wrap, neoprene support with closed patella and neoprene with open patella. However, if you want to take your safety one step further and do your best to make sure as much as your knee is safe and secure as possible, then you can choose the neoprene sleeve with an added gel insert that protects the cap of the knee and the surrounding areas from impact and collision. This will ensure that even direct strikes to your knee won’t be dangerous or damaging.
Venum Kontact Lycra/Gel Knee Support
- Anatomical wrap-around padding providing high-impact absorption, lateral support and a slim, comfortable fit
- Air-vent holes for greater breathability
- Inner terry-loop fabric for maximum comfort and absorption
Most typical knee pads are fine to keep your knees warm and to protect from minor collisions, but in MMA and wrestling, nothing is certain. You want a knee pad that has been designed and crafted with the sole purpose of surviving harsh combat sports without getting crippling injuries. Venum has created one such pad.
This pad will keep your protected during all facets of training. Whether your boxing or grappling, this knee pad keeps every part of your knee secure. No part of the knee is left open or uncovered. The material is thick and sturdy yet remains comfortable and does not restrict your movement when kicking, grappling, etc.
To prevent a build-up of sweat, which can be very uncomfortable, Venum has included air-vent holes for breathability. These can be a lifesaver when in the middle of a hard training session.
Did you know that in MMA training, people are more likely to get their teeth knocked out through grappling rather than from striking? This isn’t necessarily because grappling is more dangerous, but most people don’t bother wearing a gum shield when grappling. You rarely ever see anyone dumb enough to do full contact boxing sparring without a gum shield in. People know to protect themselves from strikes; they wear mouth guards, hand wraps, boxing gloves, shin guards, etc. But barely anyone takes the same precaution with grappling.
If wrestling is the most common way to get an injury, one of the most common yet serious injuries that people sustain in training is knee injuries. Knee injuries are extremely common yet they can be catastrophic. They can be career ending. They can be crippling. A lot of the time knee issues can be avoided just by wearing knee supports/pads.
A good set of knee pads can help to keep the knee secure and in the proper position to prevent injury from even occurring. If your knees are already injured and you suffer through pain and discomfort, knee pads are one of the best ways to both help ease your pain and to prevent your injury from getting any worse. They can even help your knee injury to heal and recover whilst you train.
Most people only buy knee pads when it’s too late and they’re already injured. You wouldn’t buy a mouthguard after your teeth have been kicked out so don’t wait until it’s too late. Get a set of knee pads now and avoid the trouble.