Most people forget that your core muscles are not just your abs. When people hear the word core in relation to muscles or the body, their minds generally go straight to the coveted six pack abs. In actual fact, the core encompasses a far larger area of your body then just the abdominals.
The core is actually the entire lower part of your torso below your chest, generally speaking. Your abdominals, your obliques/side abs, your transverse abdominis and the extremely important group muscles in your lower back. As a BJJ or MMA athlete, you know just how vital it is to your sport to have a strong and stable core.
Weightlifting is a great addition to any practitioners training arsenal but it does come with certain risks. It puts a lot of strain on your core, especially the aforementioned lower back.
Some strain is good. Some strain allows your muscle to be broken down just enough so that they can repair themselves and grow back bigger and stronger before. Too much strain and you’re inviting injury.
The best way to enjoy the benefits of weight training whilst keeping your lower back safe and stable is by using a weight belt. Especially if you’re attempting heavy lifts or using a heavy weight, low rep protocol. These weight belts fit snugly around your waist and provide much needed support to your lower back when and where they need it most.
With the belts, you can very much have your cake and eat it in regards to weight training.
Best Weight Lifting Belt
Pro Fitness Weight Lifting Belt
- INCREASED CORE STABILITY: One of the primary benefits of a weightlifting belt is increased core stability. It helps activate abdominal muscles to stabilize the spine. With the Powerlifting Belt you...
- DURABILITY: The Squat and Deadlift Belt is made from Leather, a durable material that can withstand heavy use. This weightlifting belts for men and women is an ideal choice for weightlifters and other...
- IMPROVED FORM: A weight training belt can also help improve your form. The lift belt can help you maintain proper posture during exercises, which can help you lift heavy & reduce the risk of injury....
- COMFORT: The ProFitness Weight lifting belt is made from material that is soft to the touch and easy on your skin. It is comfortable to wear and easy to adjust, which makes it an ideal choice. The...
- AFFORDABLE: Compared to other types of belts, the deadlifting belt is an affordable option. The upper lifting belt is less likely to wear out over time which means you won't have to replace it as...
Weightlifting belts can feel bulky, cumbersome and unwieldy if you’re not used to them. You definitely get used to the fit as you wear it more, but oftentimes short-minded people wear a belt once and then never use it again due to the added bulk or weight around the waist.
If you think you might be one of those people, then this belt is for you. It provides similar support and stability you’d expect out of any other weightlifting belt but without as much of that heft.
It fits snugly around your waist without getting in the way or restricting your movement.
A perfect belt for the trainee that just wants to try it out weight belts or the female/smaller lifter who thus needs a smaller belt.
RitFit Weight Lifting Belt
- RitFit Weight Lifting Belt are ergonomically designed to provide Firm & Comfortable Lumbar Support during any kind of Strength Training.
- 6’’ Inch Wide Waterproof foam core with our brushed tricot lining and soft bound edges and Adjust to fit snugly for proper effect with low profile torque ring and hook and loop closure.
- Reduce spinal flexion creating safer biomechanics when lifting and provides superior back and abdominal support and is hand washable with Air Dry.
- Strength training has a wide range of benefits and is a great way to lose weight and improve your overall health, fitness and conditioning. RitFit weight-lifting belts ideal tool to help you master...
- Suitable for all Kind of Strength Training. Various size options: Black(S:22-29’’, M:30-36’’, L:37-43’’, XL:44-51’’,XXL:52--59’’)You are Backed by RitFit Protective Gear...
RitFit have crafted a weight belt that perfectly straddles the line between comfort and support. With some of the cheaper and inferior belts out there, you often have to choose between the two, but not with RitFit.
The belt is ergonomically designed to provide perfect lumbar support during any movement or exercise you can think up without cutting into your sides or restricting yourself.
It also helps reduce spinal flexion so that your muscles are doing the work, not your delicate ligaments and tendons.
You’re likely going to be getting pretty sweaty whilst working out but this belt is easily and quickly hand-washed and will dry fast enough so that you never have to leave it behind.
Fire Team Fit Weightlifting Belt
- SLIDE STOP BUCKLE WITH PRECISE ADJUSTABILITY: Unlike a leather belt with a predetermined set of holes, the hook and loop support strap lets you adjust to the exact tightness you need for optimal...
- DESIGNED FOR OPTIMAL COMFORT AND FUNCTION: With its lightweight contoured design, our weightlifting belt helps prevent injury from hyperextension or hyperflexion (forced arch) of your spine during...
- OUR BELTS SUPPORT MORE THAN YOUR BACK: We lift others up. Many of our belts are designed to show support for servicemen and women across the USA. We appreciate those who put their lives on the line...
- VETERAN-OWNED BUSINESS WITH A TRIED AND TRUE REPUTATION: We've been in business for 5 years and have vowed never to let our customers down. We think the continued health of our business is a testament...
- LIFETIME WARRANTY: We've got your back! If your weightlifting belt ever breaks or becomes unsafe to use, we will replace it for free. No questions asked.
This is the most stylish belt on the list so if looks and aesthetics are important to you and you need your workout gear to match or to look a certain way, the Fire Team Fit belt is the best choice for you. You have five colour choices to choose from: black, blue, metallic grey, pink and even a camouflage design.
Whilst the belt looks good, it’s been manufactured with quality and structural integrity as it’s primary focus. The heavy-duty straps and sturdy roller buckle makes sure that you’re supported at all times and that it will never come loose. The last thing you want is for your belt to pop off when you’re half way through deadlifting a record amount. Luckily, this is the last thing that Fire Team Fit want as well.
Valeo 4-Inch Padded Leather Lifting Belt
- TOP QUALITY - 4 inch wide cowhide leather with contoured design stabilizes back and abdomen during heavy lifting for superior support and for maintaining proper posture
- SUPERIOR COMFORT - Suede lining covers foam lumbar pad and double reinforced stitched edges provide comfort during strenuous lifts. Double-prong roller buckle and double loops secure belt tab for...
- STABILIZE YOUR BACK & REDUCE STRESS - Alleviate pain and reduce muscle stress to protect yourself against injuries and to stabilize your spine
- IMPROVE YOUR LIFTING PERFORMANCE FOR ALL SPORTS - Perfect for weight and power lifting, gym workouts, bodybuilding, squats, dead lifts, cleans, snatches, and CrossFit
- Double Stitch Edges
This belt is more of what you would call a traditional weightlifting belt. You’ve no doubt seen images of absolute muscle monsters and power lifters using belts that look just like this when attempting amazing feats of lifting. It’s a very iconic look. That iconic look is backed up by unparalleled lower back support and sturdy construction.
This belt is made of thick cowhide with a suede interior covering a foam lumber pad. This suede interior aids the straps and buckles in keeping the belt nice and tight against where it’s needed. Every part of the construction is also doubled-up; double stitched edges, double loops to secure belt tab and double prong roller buckle. This provides you with extra support and safety as well as ensuring that you’ll be able to use this belt for years to come.
Dark Iron Fitness Genuine Leather Pro Weightlifting Belt
- STRONG - Pumping iron calls for a workout belt that won't wear out. Luckily, these weightlifting belts for men and women are sturdy and will provide protection to your spine and core while you train.
- COMFORTABLE - Ease into every lift with this LARGE 36" - 44" (Waist size not pant size) gym belt. Made from 100% genuine leather, the weight belt is soft to the touch, yet flexible and sturdy enough...
- LIFT HEAVY - When it's time to gear up for the gym, grab your Dark Iron Fitness weightlifting belt. Each one of these USAPL-approved powerlifting belts will enable you to squat or deadlift up to 600...
- POWERFUL - Our weight lifting belts for men and women are fashioned to a thickness and width that allow you to go harder during training. On average, this deadlift belt has helped improve lifts by...
- REINVENT YOURSELF - Ready to achieve your fitness goals? Strap on one of these weight lifting belts for women and men for some extra support as you get stronger and become a happier, healthier you.
Built to last. That’s the tagline for this belt but it’s not just an empty boast. Dark Iron Fitness uses their patented leather in crafting this belt. This leather will not break, it will not tear or wear out and it will not let you down. If the impossible does happen and the belt breaks, they’ll send you another one free of charge. That’s how confident this company is in it’s belt.
Despite using hardy materials, the belt is surprisingly light and comfortable. It only weighs 1.5 pounds and is easily rolled up so you can stash it away in a small space. Some say that the belt feels weightless around the waist whilst they’re using it, but that it still gives incredible support when struggling with the heavy iron.
It’s available in five different sizes, ranging from tiny waists to huge bulging guts and giving stability to every person in-between.
If you really want to take your weightlifting to the next level and really achieve those tough, elusive goals of yours, you’re going to need a weight belt.
It’s all well and good building up your core strength and strengthening that lower back, but when you really want to go big and heavy, you’ll need that added support.
But make sure that you don’t purchase the size of the belt based on the waistband of your trousers. You have to measure around your belly button and lower back, not your waist, to get the correct corresponding measurement.