If you’ve just started Muay Thai/Kickboxing training, then you’ve most likely been wearing any old shorts and an old loose fitting t-shirt to class. This is fine for your first class or so. You don’t even know if you’ll like it yet so there’s no need to invest in top quality gear before you’ve even gone to your first class. But the chances are, you’ll probably be hooked immediately.
You’ll leave your first class counting down the minutes until you can go back again. Before long, you’ll be sparring others and getting better. Around this time you’ll start to notice that the better trainers in the gym tend to have the proper gear. They’ll be wearing actual Muay Thai shorts and maybe MMA rash guards as well.
This isn’t just for aesthetic reasons. Muay Thai gear, shorts in particular, are designed so that you get the absolute optimal training performances. Obviously, don’t expect that just by wearing a pair of sports specific shorts that you’re going to suddenly become 10x better, but you can expect subtle boosts in your performance. Your typical pair of gym shorts are fine for when you’re working out with weights but the length and cut of the shorts can impede movements and drastically limit how hard you can kick and your general leg dexterity.
Now that you’re sparring, you’re going to want every single advantage you can get; both to overcome your sparring partners and to allow you to make as much progress as you can, session by session.
The Best Muay Thai Shorts Reviewed
Muay Thai shorts are shorter than most other sports shorts and feature a slit down the side to allow you to kick hard and high in any direction that you can. You will need that added range of motion as time goes on and those tatty old gym shorts aren’t going to cut it long term.
Anthem Athletics Infinity Muay Thai Shorts
- MUAY THAI SHORTS. We set out to create the absolute best muay thai shorts on the market. We think we've done it. Everything you could want in a pair of muay thai shorts and more
- 100% MACHINE WASHABLE. Our muay thai boxing shorts, kickboxing shorts and boxing shorts are made from ultra-high grade, lightweight, tear resistant fabric that is machine washable and dryer safe
- MID-THIGH, MODERN STYLE. Low profile 2.5 inch elastic waistband for a modern look. Drawstring. Aggressive side slits for maximum mobility. 3 inch inseam (medium) for mid-thigh length. These muay thai...
- FOR THE FIGHT. Optimized for muay thai, kickboxing and boxing training and competition. Choose from our Classic Muay Thai shorts, 50/50 Muay Thai shorts, Resolute Muay Thai shorts, or Classic Boxing...
- DESIGNED IN THE USA. American sized Muay Thai shorts for men, and women (unisex). Full range of sizes including 2xl and 3xl. Last image sizing chart
These shorts from Anthem Athletics are crafted with ultra high-grade, lightweight, tear resistant, performance micro-fibre that are also fully machine washable. No more scrubbing and hand-washing your shorts after every single practice. Just chuck them in the machine and be done with it.
There are particularly aggressive side-slits on these shorts and wide leg openings to give you the maximum range of motion possible. Nothing worse than being flexible enough and having the capacity to throw dexterous kicks but then being held back by the short material.
Sizes start from Small and go all the way up to 3XL, so even the bigger kick-boxers out there won’t have trouble fitting into a pair of these.
Top King Retro Style Muay Thai Shorts
If you prefer the Traditional Thai style when buying Muay Thai shorts then these could be the ones for you. Top King offer over 20 different colour/style options to suit everyone’s tastes, though most of these are in the aforementioned retro style.
Following on from the traditional aesthetic, these shorts are designed to be as small, short and compact as possible to allow for the greatest kicking and movement freedom possible. So it may be prudent to purchase a size higher than you would normally. Top King do offer sizes from Small all the way up to 4XL so no-one is missing out here.
The retro logos and stylings are gorgeous, whilst still leaving ample room for people to sew on their own logos if they like.
Fairtex Shark Muay Thai Shorts
- Made from high-quality microfiber fabric for durability and quick-drying capabilities
- Elastic waistband with a drawstring for a secure and comfortable fit
- Suitable for all types of martial arts, including Muay Thai, Kickboxing, and Boxing
- Lightweight and breathable material for maximum mobility and comfort
- Available in different color and design
If you’ve spent any amount of time training Muay Thai/MMA and have any clue about good Muay Thai/MMA equipment then you’ve most likely heard of Fairtex.
Fairtex produce top quality training gear such as gloves, shin pads, kicking pads, etc. as well as great training attire such as rash-guards and of course, shorts. It doesn’t seem to matter what Fairtex make, it’s all crafted with the utmost care. Fairtex is a brand that can be trusted and believed in and these shorts are no departure from that.
These shorts are a perfect blend between the old-school traditional and the new school styles more popular with MMA training. The cut of the shorts allows for quick, nimble footwork and razor-sharp kicks that seemingly come out of nowhere.
For the fashion-conscious, there are a total of 40 style options available with these shorts so you can easily mix and match them with the rest of your gear.
Lumpinee Retro Original Muay Thai Shorts
- Made from a polyester mix materials.
- Extra wide cut in the leg and Elastic waist with drawstring.
- The product is made to the highest specification and is quality tested and guaranteed.
- Designed and cut to suit contact sports including Kick Boxing.
- Size M-28", L-30", XL-32", XXL-34", XXXL-36" (***Recommended to mesuring size by Weight***)
These shorts are even more retro and old-school than the Top King shorts without appearing dated or old-fashioned. If you’re really after a legitimate, traditional looking pair of Muay Thai shorts then you can’t get much better than these. Lumpinee was the original brand selling gear out of the famous Lumpinee Muay Thai stadium in Bangkok itself. It doesn’t get much more legitimate than that!
They feature an extra wide cut in the leg and elastic waist with drawstring for the best possible performance and comfort. Traditional Muay Thai training can be long and gruelling so you want a pair of shorts that are going to keep you comfortable through those tough times.
Twins Special Muay Thai Shorts
If you’ve ever had trouble buying Muay Thai shorts/gear that fits, either you’re too small or too big, then you won’t have that problem here. For the smaller and younger trainer, these shorts start at 3XS size and go all the way up to 4XL. So something to fit the smallest fighter and the largest and everyone else in between.
Twins and Fairtex are arguably two of the biggest brands in Muay Thai. Just like Fairtex, Twins produce the highest possible quality of training gear, whether they’re making gloves or shorts. You can expect supreme comfort and extreme durability with these shorts; able to withstand the rigours of hard Muay Thai training, day in and day out, without tearing or falling apart.
You’ve probably heard the phrase “All the gear, no idea” before. This is normally to disparage the new guy who’s only just started but already has all the latest and great training gear. And as I’ve already said, just getting a better pair of shorts isn’t going to suddenly make you world champion material overnight. But using sports specific gear will make you better and will help you progress a little bit quicker than the person who’s only wearing their old weightlifting gear.